PPTA Annual Report June 2010 to June 2011
All PPTA activity is guided by a constitution with the following objectives:
- To advance the cause of education generally and of all phases of secondary and technical education in particular.
- To uphold and maintain the just claims of its members individually and collectively.
- To affirm and advance Te Tiriti O Waitangi.
PPTA's activities include:
- Negotiating collective employment agreements.
- Advising members about conditions of employment.
- Advocating on professional and educational issues.
The 2010-2011 has been a very demanding one for PPTA as for most New Zealanders. All the national collective agreements that PPTA negotiates, the Secondary Teachers' Collective Agreement (STCA), the Secondary Principals' Collective Agreement (SPCA), the Area School Teachers' Collective Agreement (ASTCA), the Area School Principals' Agreement (ASPA), and the Adult and Community Education Staff in Schools Collective Agreement (ACE) expired during 2010. Renegotiating these agreements in the continuing straitened financial times and in the face of a government determined to the reduce pay and conditions of employees in the public sector was a challenge; a challenge made even more difficult in the context of the tragedy of the earthquake in Christchurch.