Service / Qualification Increment: a reminder
Teachers in area schools who hold up to three units and who have been at their salary maximum for three years may be eligible.
Clause 4.9 in the STCA provides more detail.
The form can be downloaded from the school payroll website here:
- Teachers who entered as G1, G2 or G3= teachers (and who have not since qualified for G3+) can apply to receive the Service Increment if they have completed an additional qualification comparable at least with Level 5 on the NQF.
- Likewise G3+ teachers can also apply to receive the Service Increment if they have completed an additional qualification comparable at least with Level 5 on the NQF.
- Teachers who entered teaching as G4 or G5 are eligible for the Service Increment after three years service at the top of the scale without completing a further qualification.
At least a Level 5 qualification would cover a range of diplomas, certificates, ad quals, graduate and post grad diplomas that teachers may be working towards already - which will not change their basic salary group but when completed may make them eligible for this additional $2000.
There is a very wide range of qualifications which fit the criteria.
- Polytechnic diplomas and certificates that are at level 5 or above. These are in areas like the performing and tech arts/trades, technology and ICT, language and communications (including ESOL). (The general structure at polys is to have a 3 yr degree with exit points - cert level 5 after one year, diploma level 6 after 2 years or degree level 7 after 3 years.)
- University certificates and diplomas, e.g. Massey certificates are 6-8 papers, are mostly at level 5 or above (Year 1 = Level 5 usually).
- School of Education certificates and diplomas like child lit, spec ed, ICT/computing/tech tchg etc are mostly at level 5 - 6, some are 7.