Service / Qualification Increment: a reminder
Service / Qualification Increment
Clause 4.9 in the Secondary Teachers' Collective Agreement (STCA) and clause 3.18 in the Area School Teachers’ Collective Agreement (ASTCA) provide more detail about the service increment for either secondary or area school teachers.
In brief the increment applies to -
• Teachers who entered as G1, G2,G3 or H1, H2 or H3 (who have not since qualified for G3+ or H3+) can apply to receive the Service Increment if they have completed an additional qualification comparable at least with Level 5 on the NQF.
• Likewise G3+ or H3+ teachers can also apply to receive the Service Increment if they have completed an additional qualification comparable at least with Level 5 on the NQF.
• Teachers who entered teaching as G4, G5, H4 or H5 are eligible for the Service Increment after three years of service at the top of the scale without completing a further qualification.
The requirement of a Level 5 or higher qualification would cover a range of qualifications including certificates, graduate and post-graduate diplomas or even Masters qualifications that teachers may be working towards already. Achieving these will not change a teacher’s basic salary group but when completed may make them eligible for this additional $2000.
There is a very wide range of qualifications which fit the criteria.
• Polytechnic diplomas and certificates that are at level 5 or above. These are in areas like the performing arts, trades, technology including ICT, language and communications (including ESOL). A common structure of polytechnic qualifications is to offer a 3 year degree but with optional earlier exit points e.g. a Certificate atLevel 5 after one year, a diploma at Level 6 after 2 years.)
• University certificates and diplomas, e.g. Massey certificates are 6-8 papers, are mostly at level 5 or above (Year 1 = Level 5 usually).
• School of Education certificates and diplomas like children's literature, special education, ICT/computing/technology teaching are mostly at level 5 - 6, some are 7.
There are some differences in the eligibility criteria between the STCA and the ASTCA and members are referred to their applicable collective agreement.
Link to clause 3.18 in the Area School Teachers' Collective Agreement
The Service Increment Form for Teaching Staff can be downloaded from the school payroll website here: