School funding and the resourcing review
PPTA Te Wehengarua is a member of the National Education Leaders Partnership (NELP). This partnership has developed a set of principles which should underpin any changes to school resourcing.
The primary purposes of a resourcing review must be to ensure equity of access and a fair opportunity for all students to succeed in their local school and that all schools have the resources required to achieve this for their unique combination of students.
Resource allocation should attend to student needs, the infrastructure required to deliver that at the school level, and the infrastructure and support needed for schools and students regionally and nationally.
Sustainable change to school resourcing should:
- Follow a comprehensive review of all resourcing available to schools
- Be a fully integrated, systematic review and change process
- Be based on a wide range of relevant evidence and research
- Include a review of how education interacts with other agencies to influence student outcomes and involve other agencies as necessary in the review.
- Ensure that the review, the resourcing model development and the implementation/phasing are undertaken with appropriate care and are subject to testing and post-implementation evaluation.
NELP seeks to ensure that change is coherent, evidence based and collaborative.
The National Education Leaders Partnership includes: NZSTA (New Zealand School Trustees Association) NZPTA (parents), NZPF (Primary and intermediate school principals), NZSPC (secondary and area school principals), SPANZ (secondary and area school principals), SEPANZ (Special Education), NZEI (primary teachers and support staff), PPTA (secondary teachers and principals), NZAIMS (Intermediate and middle school principals), NZASA (area schools), NZCEO (Catholic Integrated Schools).